Volunteers are critical to running all of our swim meets. It takes over 50 volunteers for a swim meet to run successfully. Timers, judges, announcers, bullpen workers, and ribbon workers are just a few of the positions filled by volunteers. Volunteering is a requirement for our team. We appreciate your time and support in helping the Cool Sharks have a great season!
Here is the volunteer policy for the 2023 Cool Sharks Swim Team:
- Every volunteer job will be worth 1 point.
- All families are required to earn a minimum of 2 volunteer points for the season (per family not per swimmer), regardless of meet attendance.
- Volunteers must check in at their scheduled time. Late check in requiring replacement of your position will result in a loss of those points.
- Shift ending times are approximate. First half shifts do not end until all age group backstroke heats are complete. Second half shifts do not end until the meet is over. You must work the entire shift to earn the points.
- Please be sure to check in at the volunteer table at the meet. Failure to check in could result in points not being assigned. If you are filling in for someone else or an open slot, please be sure the volunteer check-in person records your name and shift taken.
- We have many non-meet volunteer needs if you are unable to work at meets. Just ask!
Families who do not meet this requirement will be assessed a $50 per missing point penalty at the end of the season.
Families will be exempt from the policy if:
- their child has a broken bone or other injury/illness and becomes unable to swim during the season
- their child is a member of the Cool Sharks coaching staff
- the parents have a major illness or injury that prohibits them from volunteering for the season
All exemptions for illness, injury, or other special circumstances must be approved by the Volunteer Coordinator before the end of the season in order to avoid the penalty.
Any family with an unpaid volunteer fine after July 31, 2023 will no longer be considered "in good standing" and will lose priority returning family registration status for the following season. In addition, they will not be allowed to register for any future swim programs until the balance is paid in full.
If you have questions regarding our volunteer policy, please e-mail Volunteer Coordinator Kirsten Neufeld at: [email protected].